Working Out in Quarantine
Although the coronavirus is forcing you to stay home and eat all of your quarantine snacks, it doesn’t mean your 2020 fitness goals can’t be accomplished. While all gyms are currently closed, it is time to make the best out of this situation and turn your home sweet home into your own personal gym! Below are my favorite at-home workouts and tips to slay your exercise routine.
1. Fire Hydrant: This is one of my favorite workouts to target the glutes, hips, and outer thighs. To do a fire hydrant, you want to start out on an all-fours position, keeping your back straight. Then, lift one leg, keeping your knee at 90 degrees. I do at least 3 sets of 20 reps, per leg.
2. Glute Bridge: This is a super easy workout that will definitely have you aiming for the glutes and hamstrings. Begin with lying face up on the floor. Make sure your knees are bent and feet are flat with your arms placed on your sides. Then, lift your hips upward, making sure to squeeze your glutes at the top. I personally like to do 3 sets of 20 reps.
*TIP: Use a barbell, dumbbell, or any weighted object around your house (such as bottles of water) for added weight.
3. Bicep Curls: This is a classic workout for toned biceps and can be performed at home with dumbbells, or be creative, using heavy water bottles and items lying around your house. Begin with standing straight with feet about shoulder-width apart, and hold your dumbbells with your arms extended by your sides. Then, curl the dumbbells up towards your shoulders and back down to your sides. With a 10-pound dumbbell in each hand, I do 3 sets of 15 reps.
4. Triceps Dips: The triceps dip machine is my favorite to use at the gym, and it can easily be done at home without a machine. Using barbells (or weighted objects at home) in both hands, stand up straight with both arms at your side. Then, lift the barbells upwards towards your armpits. With two 10-pound dumbbells, I usually do 3 sets of 20 reps. The at-home version is similar to the picture on the right, except you are standing up and using barbells.
5. Russian Twists: This workout is perfect for the abdominals. Begin by sitting and lifting your legs up in V-shape. Making sure to keep your balance, turn your torso left and right, making this one rep. I usually do 3 sets of 12 reps with added weights of 10 pounds. You can just use your body weight as well!
6. Jumping Jacks: This workout reminds me of middle school gym classes, but it is still effective and quick to get in some cardio and work your heart. I like to do 3 to 5 sets of 20 jumping jacks!
For more at-home workout ideas, I recommend using YouTube or scrolling through
Instagram. Get your workout on, and stay safe, PULP fam!